Here in the US, there seems to be a light at the end of the Coronavirus tunnel. The number of vaccinations increases daily and the call to travel grows louder. As countries open their borders for visitors, there are some things you should remember. This applies to domestic travel too, as there are still many restrictions abroad.
Not only should you still be vigilant (yes, it’s exhausting) with safety protocols, especially if you have little ones not yet vaccinated, but if you haven’t updated or created your estate plan, do it before you travel! The likelihood of something happening to you is remote, but remember, shit happens. It’s time to make sure all of your financial and legal affairs are in order and your paperwork life is organized. It sounds daunting but with the right baby steps, it doesn’t have to be.
If you have estate planning documents already, ask yourself the questions below to make sure your documents are up to date. If you don’t have any documents created, contact us to get started.
QUESTIONS TO MAKE SURE YOUR DOCUMENTS ARE UP TO DATE:
- Are the correct people named to make health care decisions for me in my Advance Health Care Directive?
- Are my current wishes about my health care plan clear?
- Do I have a HIPAA/CMIA waiver?
- Are the correct people named to make legal and financial decisions for me in my Durable Power of Attorney?
- Are the correct people named as successor trustee to manage my trust assets in my Trust?
- Are the correct people named to care for my children in my Will?
- Are my current assests properly transferred to my Trust?
- Are all of my beneficiary designations correct?
There are many more details but these outline an overview of the first most critical steps. For more information, schedule a 15-min complimentary phone call with us today!
Be safe and happy travels!